London: July 28

Blenheim Palace
.................................


Tuesday July 28, 2009

We ride out on a double-decker bus to Blenheim Palace. Starting outside with a side gardens we see beautiful fountains, flowers, and statues everywhere. The house is beautiful, made out of a golden orange stone. We enter the house and I spot a chair that looks almost identical to one Kelly Wearstler has used in several projects she’s done. I have noticed several other resemblances between her design and things I’ve seen throughout my European vacation. I’ve seen marble boxes and tables comparable to hers. The way she uses sculptures reminds me of palaces and museums. Just her use of gold ornate furniture is reminiscent of European history. I love that I can appreciate the similarities between what I am seeing that is hundreds of years old, to the new modern designs. It makes me realize that I can do it too, I can take what I am learning right here, what I am seeing everyday and make it something new, something that is mine.

The Blenheim Palace is so beautiful. We get to walk all around downstairs, seeing the most beautiful, grand dining room yet. It was the house where Sir Winston Churchill was born, so they have a portion of the house dedicated to him and his history. After the amazing downstairs, I think this is my favorite house we’ve been to yet, I absolutely love it and could imagine myself living there. But we go upstairs and I am so disappointed. It is like a terrible Disneyland ride, they have changed the rooms into tasteless, cheesy sets with mannequin dolls. We go from room to room, following a terrible plot line of the history of the home. I think it is disgraceful how they changed rooms that were probably once beautiful into these ugly sets with built in folding down chairs and dreadful carpet. I try to erase it from my memory and just dwell on what I saw downstairs.

We go outside again and walk through the secret gardens and rose gardens. They are so charming. There are little paths going off everywhere to little secluded areas. It is very pleasant and peaceful place.




No comments:

Post a Comment