London: July 29

Burghley
..........................


Wednesday July 29, 2009

Today we go to Burghley, the house that was used as Lady Catherine de Bourgh’s house in the Pride and Prejudice movie. We walk up a grassy hill and find the grounds inhabited by deer. They are just frolicking around, letting people go up to them and pet them. I feel like a little kid at a petting zoo.

The first room we come to upon entering the house with our tour guide is the kitchen. The most amazing kitchen in the world. It was supposedly used by 30 or so chefs making meals for about a hundred people every day. It is so large, the ceilings are incredibly tall with simple fan vaults, lots of windows let in natural light. There is working space everywhere and big fireplaces used as ovens. I can totally imagine it being translated into a modern working kitchen for today.

We walk through the rest of the house, seeing different bedrooms and paintings. I keep thinking about what it would be like to have so much money that you can have a home that big and fill it with paintings and sculptures and expensive furniture.

After the tour, I get a scone from the café and load it with clotted cream and jam. It is heavenly. We them venture outside in the rain and walk through a small portion of the gardens before we head out to the little town of Stamford. There, Darrin shows us where the scene of marching soldiers from Pride and Prejudice was filmed. It is such an adorable little town, with picturesque streets everywhere. Josie, Jenna, and I find a little restaurant and order cauliflower soup to warm us up from the cold rain. It feels so good to sit at the little wooden table with our warm soup and look out through the curtained window at the dark misty rainy day. I feel like I’m in a movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment