London: July 23

Cambridge
.............................


Thursday July 23, 2009

We’re going to Cambridge, one of the most famous universities, the second oldest in England. Once there, a tour guide takes us around to the different sights. We see a beautiful church, the All Saints Church. It has been added onto several times, growing with the community. The last architect to work on it wanted to visually show how a church is connected with a community, that it progresses and digresses along with a community. To communicate this, he made nothing symmetrical, showing how things get added on as they grow. Everything was off centered just a little, the windows didn’t match on the different sides, and one side was bigger than the other. It is so different from the other churches we have been seeing and I really love it.

We then walk over to the Kings College Chapel. It is the most striking building I have ever seen. As soon as you enter the building, you are filled with awe and wonder. It is magical. The ceilings are extremely tall, finished off with fan vaults. Every inch of the light colored stone is covered in intricate details. It is a masterpiece of architecture.

We take a break for lunch and eat at The Eagle, a little pub in Cambridge. I try for the first time the famous fish and chips. I’m not expecting a lot, I hate seafood, but I try a bit and I’m impressed. I actually like it. We then go over to the Fitzwilliam Museum. There, I learn that to be a teacher at Cambridge, you cannot be married. So, as a result, a lot of teachers die with no children to pass their possessions onto, so the school built a museum that teachers can leave their art and money to.

We end our tour with a punting ride down the river. It’s a lot like a gondola ride, just not as serene or as pretty, but still fun. We see the building that was used for the Harry Potter castle in the first movies. Pretty awesome. On our way home, we stop at Kings Cross station and make our way to platform 9 ¾. Of course we have to have a photo shoot of us running into the wall. Great Harry Potter moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment